Val's Log

Friday, April 07, 2006

When R U Getting Married?

This is a question that all single women over 21 hear at least once or twice a week. Frequency of this question will significantly increase if her friends/close relatives are engaged or newlyweds.

Case in point: My sister just got married in November. People kept asking me (despite the fact that she’s eight years my senior) when I was going to get married. I mean, it was really bad. Even the priest that performed the ceremony asked me! It got to the point where I was saying to myself “I’m gonna scream if 1 more person asks me when I’m going to get married!”

As if we don’t already realize we’re single, people feel the need to remind us of this all of the time. Another case in point: Let’s go back to New Year’s Day. I’m at my parents’ having our traditional New Year’s Day lunch with black eyed peas and all (they’re supposed to bring you good luck if you eat them on New Year’s). So my dad says “You better eat some of those. This might be your year.” And I said “My year for what?” His reply: “You might find yourself a man this year!” (Now this was, in part, in jest. But it is also just more fallout from my sister’s wedding.)

Now, this question frustrates me, but I am usually just polite and laugh it off. But I really just want to say “Um, I’m only 23”. I mean, I know that way back in the day people got married when they were 15 (provided the father provided a dowry of 5 goats, 8 hens and 2 horses). But this is 2006 and being 23 & unwed does not make me an old maid. Also, I haven’t found the right person. I’m not just gonna hook up with someone from the Wack Pack just so I can say “I got a man”.

Now, we do understand peoples’ concerns. However, let me point out right now that no woman needs a man. (We may want them but we don’t need them.) And some of us aren’t stressing out about our biological clocks ticking. There are other wonderful options out there like having a surrogate or adopting. So stop asking when we’re gonna get married!

1 Comments:

  • At 4/07/2006, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Yeah, that's a part of the quarter life crisis. You feel you have established so good groundwork for yourself in life and someone (relatives)points out the fact that you ain't married. I think they would get upset if I ask them(old people) " why aren't they dead yet?"

     

Post a Comment

<< Home