Val's Log

Wednesday, March 15, 2006

R&B Thug

(*Note: Names in this story have not been changed)
Last night Kristle and I went to the R. Kelly concert. Now, he’s no Brian McKnight, but he’s put out at lot of good music and I figured he’d put on a good show. So I went with one of his biggest fans… Let me say right now that I wouldn't have had nearly as much fun if I had gone with anyone else! LoL

We get there, the show is sold out and we’re sitting in the balcony of Jones Hall. Now if we hadn’t had floor seats for Alvin Ailey at the same venue a few weeks earlier, we probably wouldn’t have had a problem being so high up. But on the other hand, I had been to a concert in the Superdome so I really wasn’t complaining. Now we’re sitting in our seats waiting for the show to begin. Our seats were actually in the 2nd row of the balcony but the railing was kind of obstructing our view of the stage. So Kristle is sitting there trying to figure out how she’s going to see R. Kelly without standing up the whole time (‘cause y’all know her knees bother her except when she’s trying to get her mack on at the club). Her solution… She props herself up with her purse.

So, we were in our seats before the show start time which was 8 o’clock. Now you know most of the time concerts don’t start exactly on time and they usually have an opening act. Well, I was pissed because he had no opening act and then his behind didn’t even start the show ‘til 9 (like people don’t have to go to work the next day). Thoughts of his extreme tardiness quickly fade in the minds of the fans in the crowd as soon as they turned the house lights off. That’s when I start cracking up laughing. "Why?" you ask… Not only is Kristle screaming in my ear, but all of his other #1 fans up in the balcony with us are try to take pictures in the dark with their camera phones. Uh, no.

When R. Kelly finally comes out I’m thinking from the get-go "This man is definitely an entertainer". But then I had to boo him for a second when his ‘new name’ was lowered from the ceiling in lights… "Mr. Showbiz". (OK, you’re not Prince) But I was having a really good time. Every song he did I was like "Ooooooh, that’s the jam!" Wonderful, Thoia Thoing, Fiesta, Ignition…. And then he had a little interlude for his first wardrobe change... Tell me why when he came back out about 10 minutes later all he had done was put on a leather jacket!

Now, my biggest fear about sitting through this concert was that he was going to perform chapters 1 – 52 of Trapped in the Closet. Surprisingly he only did the 1st 3. I was about to fall asleep during the 1st 2 chapters because it was just him on the stage doing it Milli Vanilli style. But ooooooh when he got to chapter 3 and he was playing Chuck… You would have sworn it was Miss J (who is a guy) from America’s Next Top Model out there! He was switchin’ it all right! LoL.

Here are some of the other memorable moments from the concert:

  • He did an opera (No, I didn’t say hip hopera like Carmen starring Beyonce. I’m talkin’ Pavarotti) version of Feelin’ on Your Booty
  • Kristle screaming "Take it off honey!" and jumping out of her seat every 5 minutes to jig to every song
  • Preview of a new song titled "Zoo". It sounded tight. Analogy was kind of weird. I just remember something about I’m a lion, you’re a tiger, we’re 2 heated animals, I’m gonna make you wet like the rainforest. (That’s when I turned to Kristle and said "Did he just say what I think he said?") But it was too much when he did a "Cole from Martin bird call" after each verse. (Ooh, ooh, oooh, ah, ah, ah!)
  • They did an ATL dance interlude and R. Kelly was doin’ the dang thing. I didn’t know Chingy had taught R. how to do the chicken dance after Right Thurr came out!
  • At about 10:30 he closed the concert out with "Happy People" and thanked the audience for hanging out with him for the last 2 hours. Um, no dude. You didn’t even come out on stage until 9.

R. Kelly truly put on a show last night. And I didn't realize this until last night, but he has so many great songs that he doesn't have enough time to pack 'em all into one concert. And I must say that his voice sounds as good if not better than his album recordings. I can't say that for everyone I've seen live.... Overall it was a very entertaining concert. And he didn’t pee on anyone.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home