Val's Log

Friday, June 09, 2006

Hot Mess Award: Week of 6-4-06

1. Intermittent Explosive Disorder. Yes, they have officially given road rage a medical diagnosis. I can just see someone saying to the judge “I’m sick. I couldn’t help pulling out my gat on I-10 because I have intermittent explosive disorder.”

2. The teachers who got caught gettin’ their freak on in a middle school classroom. And they admitted this wasn't the first time they did it. What is wrong with people?!

3. The police officer who was singing at a ceremony and didn’t know the words to the national anthem. I’m sorry, but there is no reason for an officer of the law not to know the lyrics to the Star Spangled Banner. And this wasn’t an honest “I’m really nervous and my mind totally blanked” situation. This fool knew he didn’t know the words as soon as they asked him to sing.

4. People who don’t have proper work etiquette. Please do not get totally wasted at an event where several of your co-workers are in attendance. Also, if someone wants to take you out for a business lunch (that the company will be paying for) do not invite someone else without asking first. And lastly, please do not send an e-mail out to 5 list serves (~250 people that you don’t know at work) to let them know about auditions for a reality TV show.

And the winner is….. Dawn & Demetrius Lawson from the reality TV show Wife Swap. This couple follows the teachings of a book entitled Fascinating Womanhood which says that a woman’s role is to submit to her husband and serve his every need. HELL NAW! Reality check lady: This is not 1960 and you are not June Cleaver!

If you haven’t seen the show, each woman writes a household manual for the “new wife”. You can click here to read hers in its entirety, but I’d like to highlight some of the most disturbing passages:

“I would never do anything to undermine my husband's masculinity, including working outside the home. Some professions are especially inappropriate for women. We believe that women should never be police officers or fire fighters. Women need to be protected, not protect.” “Men need to feel strong and masculine, and I wouldn't feel comfortable taking on male characteristics, like being assertive, decisive and powerful. My husband has the final say in all decisions, and I submit to that authority.” “If I have a bad day, I never trouble my husband by telling him about it. He has enough to worry about.” “My husband controls the money. I let him know what I need for groceries, cleaning supplies and clothes for the kids, and he decides what he will give me. I don't spend money without asking him.”

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home